How to Get Rid of Mouse Poison: A Guide For Pet Owners
Mouse poisoning is a common household problem that can cause major damage to humans and pets. Unfortunately, many people have no idea how serious mouse poisoning can be until they encounter an infestation. With mice and rats being common household pets, you are more likely to encounter an infestation in your own home. However, a mouse or rat infestation can also happen in other places like outside the home, in the garage, or anywhere that rodents are allowed to enter the yard.
There are many mouse poison removal products on the market today to help get rid of mice and rats. Some of these include rat poisons, mice basters, rodenticides, and sprays. These products are usually sold in stores and can be purchased in bulk to save money. In addition, some products are chemical-free and come in liquids, powder, or granules that can be refilled. Refills are convenient as they can be dispensed at any time, even when you are not using the product.
To use refillable bait stations or liquid mice poisons, simply pour the contents of the reservoir onto the ground or other surface where the rodent population appears. Be sure to cover large areas that are high moisture areas. For larger animals, such as deer or raccoons, be sure to put the bait station in a safe place and take it out when the animal is no longer active or seen. To use liquid sprays, follow the instructions on the container to the best of your knowledge. Spraying the product around the home is OK as long as the directions are followed. These sprays take some time to affect the animals; however, spraying just before dark hours can affect all the animals living in an area.
Rechargeable rodent poison products are made with ingredients that are safe for humans and pets. Many people prefer to use refillable bait stations with small plastic throwaway containers for placing the product on top of the soil, mulch, or surrounding ground. If you do this, it is very important to keep the containers out of reach of children. Keep the containers in a secure place away from other pets and children. Also, if your pets are growing, it may be beneficial to purchase two refillable bait stations and store them away from each other.
Liquid mouse poisons are usually made from chemicals that are found in common houseplants and other household products. While some people have used these products to get rid of mice and other rodents, there is cause for concern. Some of these products contain ammonia, which is extremely poisonous to both rats and mice. In addition, the fumes from these products can cause coughing, dizziness, and headaches in humans and nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting in pets. Although mouse poisons do kill some rodents, they have not been proven to be effective in eliminating pest infestations.
Other rodent poisons include zinc phosphide and bromethalin. These two chemicals are most often found in baits, although they can also be found in mothballs, moth spray, dust, and cleaning sprays. Unfortunately, these products kill mice, but they can also cause serious respiratory tract irritation in humans. In addition, they can cause coma and death in small animals like cats and puppies. Some experts believe that despite their non-toxic properties, zinc phosphide and bromethalin are still dangerous and should be banned from use. Because these two products are highly toxic when they are ingested, they are better suited for use as bait than as a form of pest control.
The best mouse poison for a pest infestation is rodent poison that contains either manmade antifreeze or copper sulfate. These products kill mice and prevent them from reoccurring. However, humans cannot metabolize manmade antifreeze or copper sulfate, so pets and children should never ingest them. In addition, while these poisons are generally safe when taken moderately, they can become lethal when taken in high doses.
Potassium phosphate and calcium carbonate are two other mouse poisons commonly used for killing mice. These products kill rodents by releasing an aerosol that coats their skin and hair; the product itself is inactive and does not have any active ingredients. However, when the aerosol is released, it drifts through the air and is inhaled by the animal. This chemical interaction causes the release of nitrosamines into the atmosphere. Potassium phosphate and calcium carbonate are both considered safe when used properly, but serious complications can occur if excessive quantities are exposed to the air.